Should Non-Profit Organizations Hire an Internal IT Department or Outsource to an MSP?
Many non-profit organizations nowadays are starting to see the value of leveraging information technology to better achieve their mission. The right technology lets you get the most out of your donor data, volunteer time, and other elements that are crucial to serving those in need while staying within your budget. But even with the right technology, it’s necessary to ensure it’s properly managed and protected against cybercrime. Why? Because hardware crashes, issues, and cyber-attacks can result in unnecessary downtime that takes a toll on your ability to get work done.
So what’s the most efficient way to manage and protect your technology? Should you hire an internal IT department or outsource to an MSP? There are benefits to both options, but more often than not, when you’re operating on a budget, an MSP makes the most sense. Essentially, you pay a flat-rate monthly fee to monitor, maintain, and protect your infrastructure. CompTIA found that over 400 businesses using managed IT services reduced their security budgets alone by over 25%.
The Benefits of Outsourcing to an MSP vs. Hiring an Internal IT Department…
When you hire an internal IT department, you’re left with the hefty cost of paying for the following:
- Vacation and/or sick time
- Regular training and/or certifications
Plus, when your internal IT department isn’t available, you’re unable to get the support you need. This is especially common during after-hours or throughout the holidays when your staff members are away on vacation. Although it’s great to have a person or team dedicated to your non-profit organization, it can be quite expensive when you add up all of the costs.
Are Managed IT Services a Cost-Effective Option for Non-Profit Organizations?
The simple answer: Absolutely. An MSP can typically cover most services under a flat-rate monthly cost. This should include monitoring, maintenance, and remote/onsite support when necessary. In some cases, they’ll even include cybersecurity and data backup and disaster recovery planning. You get access to an entire team of experts available around-the-clock – making it a cost-effective option.
The benefits of hiring an MSP rather than hiring an internal IT department go above and beyond cost:
- A more proactive approach: An MSP will take a proactive approach to prevent issues before they turn into major challenges with remote monitoring, regular maintenance, and other measures designed to keep your technology operating at its best rather than responding to problems in a reactive manner.
- Expertise in terms of non-profit discounts: An MSP works closely with various manufacturers – remaining knowledgeable about any sort of incentives or programs available to lower the cost of common applications and/or services for non-profit organizations.
- A team of trained, certified technicians: An MSP takes care of keeping their team trained and certified so you never have to worry about a lack of knowledge impacting the way your infrastructure is managed. They will ensure their team is up-to-date on the latest technologies, trends, and threats.
Micro Visions Provides Managed IT Services for Non-Profit Organizations Throughout Grand Rapids. Call (616) 776-0400 to Get Started.
Like this article? Keep reading: